You’ve heard of ‘Sober October’? It’s ‘Drink a Day December”s preachy asshole brother who makes even your best friend the Buddhist want to pop him in the snoot. Fuck that guy.
Let’s start with the classic Hanky Panky. Why?
- It was invented by a female bartender
- A female bartender who worked at the American Bar in the Savoy in London
- In the 1920s
- It’s a very simple recipe that is strangely easy to fuck up
- It is a mouthful of boozy, sweet, and bitter, like an aging 70s pop star
- It’s super-fun to say and vaguely rude
- 1.75 oz London dry gin (mmmmMartin Millers)
- 1.75 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano if you’re brave)
- .25 oz Fernet Branca
Combine, ice, and stir. Think about how badass Ada Coleman looked with her silver shaker pin behind the bar. Use a vegetable peeler to cut a piece of orange rind. Express the oil over the glass, rub the rind on the rim, and serve.
I can testify: the ones Joe serves at the Savoy nowadays would make Ada proud.